Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I Needed a Policeman!"

MK and Brandon 006  MK and Brandon 007MK and Brandon 011

Okay I am taking a new step. Realizing that not everyone wants to hear the ramblings of a mom moving through new seasons, I am trying to make this my "family" oriented blogging moment and I am using another place to talk more about what I am learning in life, seeking to follow Christ. Now, I do have to take a "number" at the computer since there are multiple users in the family. You moms with little ones out there; just wait, you will be moving over sooner than you think.

The pictures are of my second son, Brandon, who is a college graduate in Criminal Justice and is now officially a sworn-in sheriff for our county. Wow! What a moment and how I am learning a new way to pray when I wake up in the night, since he is on the 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. shift in a more volatile area (which is really everywhere these days - even Wet 'n Wild this past weekend). He is named after my dad, his pappaw, BranDON MILLER - a name that carries with it so much legacy - so much humor (which Brandon loves) - and so much spiritual depth - which we continue to pray for Brandon to grow in and possess all the days of his life.

Brandon was my baby and little boy, who was calm, sensitive, fun, stable, low-key, happy, peaceful...shall I go on? He also had a knack for stepping in when things got a little crazy with "the brothers" (which was often in our household, and still is), and he would mediate, trying to take things in his hands and help work it out. I would usually come on the scene and say, "Brandon, mom doesn't need you to be a policeman." And now, 20+ years later, I am saying, "I guess I did and didn't know it."

I have a "clear as day" memory of the first time I nursed him after arriving at home from the hospital in our little 600 square foot house, while in seminary. After having to rock our firstborn to sleep or having Bob dance around with him - (he loves music and movement), I laid Brandon down in the cradle, on his stomach, and he never moved or made a sound. I had to look at him several times to make sure he was okay - his eyes were wide open, but he lay there quietly till he fell asleep...he was one low-key guy!

We are extremely proud of Brandon - We have been blessed from the moment he came into our world and blessed even now in his calling and his vocation. Brandon, may you keep a sensitive heart in a very bitter, disrespectful, calculating, violent world. May you follow the path of Christ always - may you live up to the name that God led us to choose just for you. I respect you, admire you, trust you, believe in you, and most of all - love you!  mom

3 comments:

justgottalaugh said...

OK, it's been way too long since we've seen BranDON! He does not even look like the same person! I can't believe it! WOW!
Way to go Brandon. The Robinsons are proud of you too!!!!!!!!!

circus of love said...

What a proud moment! It's good to know where Brandon's humor comes from. I love it. We are proud with you!!!
Kathryn and John

Michelle said...

Wow! I am proud of him, too! Thank you for sharing. I currently work with police regularly in my job at crisis intervention, and I wish more of them were calm, stable, and even-keel as I remember Brandon being. He'll be a light in places where the light of the Lord certainly needs to be.
Twinkling for Jesus,
Michelle Davy :)