Thursday, April 24, 2008

In Need of God's Grace

   S6300021

Grandchildren are so precious, especially when you do not see them very often. The time that I spend with mine becomes more precious every time I see them. Of course it is always wonderful to get to go to the mountains in springtime Tennessee, in order to visit my grandsons.  Redbud trees (which are lavender) were blooming everywhere, as well as the dogwood trees.  Tulips were up as well as other spring flowers.  It was refreshing and peaceful everywhere we looked. As we boarded the plane for home, I was reminded of God's grace, watching the sun set on the mountains Tuesday evening. Author Jerry Bridges, says it well about grace, "Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace." That means that every day, no matter what kind of day it is, we need to relate to God and live life from His grace alone...there is no other way that works.

We were also able to hear our oldest son speak at  Celebration Church where he serves...posing the question to us out of Acts 17, "How much of your Christianity is cultural and how much of it is biblical?"  It was a great message from a great passage about Paul on a visit to Athens. Cultural Christianity is popular and do-able in America, but what does real biblical Christianity look like in this day?  I am always on a search to find out.

While in northeast Tennessee, we celebrated a 5th birthday with Tobin, celebrated "fun" with Josiah, and celebrated "life" with Jude, who has Tuberous Sclerosis. What is ahead for each of them and what does God have S6300109in mind for their lives?  Prayer will be the key, and I know that I am learning that more and more in life.  It is the only place to go on behalf of our children, grandchildren and others in our lives. There are many conflicting thoughts out there today for moms and grandmoms - pulling us away S6300160from our  main mission of working at home and taking care of our families. The promise of reliving our youth, a more fulfilled lifestyle, travel, escape from responsibilities...the Oprah message of "the secret" - leaving behind all that is negative in your life. Be careful who you listen to.

Being a follower of Christ is not for the fainthearted,

Luke 9:23-25 (Msg) 
    Jesus said,  "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat—I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real S6300164you?"

Finding yourself by giving yourself away - - the way of the mom - the way of the grandmother (me-mom) - the way of the follower of Christ!

Jude, you are precious and loved by God. The limitations and physical struggles you are experiencing are in His hands - His grace is there for you - He will never leave you - He is for you! And I love you!   me-mom

No comments: