Monday, January 16, 2012

Celebrating Kirk!

k & bTwenty-three years ago tonight, we met a long little guy named Kirk Robert. It sounded like old news to some – “it’s a boy” - a fifth boy! But we were thrilled and still feel that way today. You were our first dare-devil – the one who got the most stitches and knew your way around the emergency room the best. You climbed everything, from the beginning – from couches and tables to tall Tennessee hill trees – you jumped off of everything including our rooftop – now that sent us to the emergency room our first day in town! We used to sing your song to you and you rocked away while hearing, “Hey’s a Kirk-boy, my friend. Hey’s a Kirkie-boy, He’s a my friend.” I can still see you swaying back and forth in your crib as we all sang to you. “Friend” – is one description that fits you perfectly. I can remember times when so many guys felt that you were their best friend. I remember the year you did not want to have a birthday party because you were afraid you would leave someone out who considered you their friend. You are a great friend – loyal - sensitive – gentle – loving – caring – optimistic – trusting – stay true to those qualities – do not give them up…no matter what you find ahead! 

There are many emotions I feel today as I remember your birth in Knoxville, Tennessee. You have been a treasure of a person in my life and to so many. Your name, Kirk, came from a close friend and also meant, “worshipper” – a name that you have lived up to in your passion for writing, singing, and playing worship . Robert – named after your dad - you have many of his attributes, like him in so many great ways. Home-schooled – football – soccer – track - dual enrollment – college graduate – Summit Ministries - mission trip – a whirlwind of memories since those days. God has so gifted you with artistry through music and photography – and now work in a whole new field. I commend you because in the challenges of life, you have persevered – you have had hope – you have kept believing and moving forward. You have loved and kept on loving! One year ago you walked up the aisle to meet the girl of your dreams in a powerfully, emotional   ceremony. No one will ever know all that walked up that aisle with you that day – 15what went into the relationship and your first year of marriage. But really, there is One Who knows and cares. He really has walked beside you and led you – even in those times you felt most alone in the journey. What a treasure of a person He led you to.

I guess we have all been learning that people’s words do not define who we are and where we are going. The power rests in God alone, who was and is our Great Shepherd. Follow Him!

Many new adventures await you and I am so thrilled to be a part, praying, and watching from the sidelines, as you grow in Christ-likeness. New job – new wife – new possibilities – I cannot wait to see all that is ahead.

The words most on my heart for you is “press on.”
-“Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.” Hosea 6:3 HE WILL, SO PRESS ON!
-“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Philippians 3:12 
-
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”Philippians 3:14 

CHRIST IS THE GOAL, SO PRESS ON!


Press on Kirk and know that “He Who is faithful will do it” – I will keep praying, believing, and pressing on with you. I love you and am so proud of the man you are- mom

7

No comments: